If you’re traveling with a baby, one of the first things you need to do during the planning phase is to find out what the weather would be like in your intended destination. Keeping your baby comfortable is key to having a hassle-free vacation. If your destination is in the peak of summer, you’re in luck! Its so much easier to travel and go out with small children during this season than it is during winter. However, there are still some considerations you need to take when packing his/her clothes. Here are some helpful tips on how to dress your baby for summer travel:
- Consider layering. It maybe hot outdoors but if you plan on seeing different malls, museums or other indoor air-conditioned places. The same is true if you are staying out late. The temperature may suddenly drop at night. Do the usual shirt/onesie with shorts combo that would be appropriate for the weather. Then, top it with a light cardigan or jacket which you can easily take on and off when you go inside different establishments.
- Sun protection is a must. A wide-brim hat can help protect the face and shoulders from burning. A sunscreen lotion for babies is always a good idea when it’s summer time.
- Choose fabrics that are lightweight and of lighter colors. Cotton is a great pick because its breathable. Lighter colors are said to reflect light and help keep your little one cool during the warm summer months.
- Don’t forget the swimwear. Whether its in the hotel pool or the local park, summer offers a lot of opportunity for water fun for your little one. Don’t let them miss out because you didn’t pack that tiny weeny baby bikini. Throw in a few swim nappies while you’re at it.
- Prepare the sleepwear. Summer nights in different countries may mean temperature drops. Bring two types of sleepwear for your baby — pyjamas made with light cotton and body suits (with foot covering) that are of a thicker material. This way, you’re prepared for sleep time whether it be cold or warm.
- Get eye protection for babies who are comfortable wearing them. Sunglasses or shades for babies are a huge hit for the mommy market with brands like Babiators on the top of that list. This is a good idea for babies who may not be into wearing wide-brim hats; combine a lightweight hoodie and sunglasses instead. Also, sunglasses make babies look really cool.
Other summer travel tips for babies:
- Consider bringing baby-safe mosquito repellents. These biters are most active during the summer season so bring that anti-mosquito patch or lotion just to keep them at bay.
- If you’re bringing a carrier, choose one with a mesh fabric. Or take a sling instead. Carriers can get hot and stuffy for a baby when you do some exploring.
- Babies are also more prone to heat rash during the summer season, bring an ointment for that or at least baby powder with cornstarch to alleviate the itching.
Enjoy your summer escapade!